Development of a multi-layered packed bed for the separation of pure hydrogen from a natural-gas-based feed via pressure swing adsorption
- Development of a multi-layered packed bed for the separation of all unwanted components from the feedgas
- Implementation of the packed bed into an experimental plant and execution of experiments
- Intended continuous operation of the plant and achievement of the desired product quality from realistic feedgas
- Applicable concept for the utilization within the HylyPure® process
Hydrogen can be transported via the existing natural gas grid for an extensive supply i.e. for fuel cell cars or as a feedstock for industry applications. The biggest challenge lies in the separation of the hydrogen from the rest of the gas stream. The HylyPure®-process developed at TU Wien offers a promising method consisting of membrane separation and pressure swing adsorption (PSA) for separating highly pure hydrogen (<99,97%) from the mixture.
In this master thesis, based on a thorough literature research, a multi-layered packed bed should be developed to separate pure hydrogen from a realistic stream of feedgas within the mentioned process. It should then be implemented into the existing experimental plant and its functionality and application use be verified via experiments.
- Knowledge of the basic concepts of adsorption
- LVA 159.731 Thermische Verfahrenstechnik
- LVA 159.995 Thermische Verfahrenstechnik II
As from now
Martin Brenner, MSc
Financial award for excellent work possible